Wilbanks & Bridges was recognized as Whistleblower Lawyers of the Year by it’s peers for its successes in furthering the goals of whistleblowers and the False Claims Act over the last year. The prestigious award was presented AT the 14th Annual Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund conference this week. The firm was recognized for the significant litigation results and settlements obtained over the last year which resulted in over $300 Million Dollars being recovered for the American taxpayers. The firm was also recognized for its efforts in reaching an $85 Million Dollar settlement with Halifax Hospital in Florida, which stands as the largest single Stark settlement recovery ever obtained under the False Claims Act. Read More…
In April of 2015, Davita settles case with United States and 2 W&G whistleblowers for $450,000,000 after 8 years of hard fought litigation.
- Dialysis Company Accused Of Giant Medicare Fraud Click Here for Anderson Cooper 360/CNN Video Report of November 30, 2012.
- Wasted Dialysis Drugs To Buoy Profits Alleged In Davita And Gambro Healthcare, Inc. Case Dr. Alon Vainer And Daniel Barbir Allege In Lawsuit That Drugs Were Wasted To Buoy Davita Profits
- Lawsuit Says Dialysis Giants Davita, Inc. And Gambro Healthcare, Inc., Sought Fraudulent Reimbursements For Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars For Wasted Drugs, According To Atlanta Lawyers Lin Wood And Marlan Wilbanks Click here to view press release
- Davita, Served By UNC's Roper On Board, Sued Click here for Triangle Business Journal article by Jason deBruyn, dated July 26, 2011
- Davita Cashed In On Waste, Ex-Workers Say Click here for a Modern Healthcare srticle by Joe Carlson, dated July 26, 2011
- Dialysis Company Accused Of Drug Scam Click here for a Columbus Dispatch article by Andrew Pollack, dated July 27, 2011
- Lawsuit Alleges Fraud At Dialysis Company Click here for bendbulletin.com article by Andrew Pollack, dated July 26, 2011
The suit alleged that Tenet and four of its hospitals in Georgia and South Carolina, entered into an illegal arrangement with a business called “Clinica de la Mama” that operated walk-in obstetric clinics for undocumented Hispanic women. The case settled in October 2016 for $368,000,000.
- U.S. Department of Justice identifies a W&G case as one of the top five most significant healthcare fraud cases of 2016 Click here for the U.S. Department of Justice press release dated December 14, 2016.
- A big sum for Medicaid - and come hard choices Click here for a Georgia Health News article by Andy Miller dated October 12,2016.
- Government fires back in false claims suit against Prime: 6 things to know Click here for a Becker's Hospital Review article by Ayla Ellison dates October 10, 2016.
- Tenet Healthcare to pay $513 million in kickback case Click here for an Atlanta Journal-Constitution article by Carrie Teegardin dated October 3, 2016.
- Dallas-based Tenet to pay $514 million to settle whistleblower lawsuit Click here for a Dallas Morning News article by Sabriya Rice dated October 3, 2016.
- Tenet to pay millions over fraud scheme in Georgia Click here for a Georgia Health news article dated October 3, 2016.
- Two former Tenet hospitals plead guilty to Medicaid kickbacks; $514M settlement finalized Click here for a Modern Healthcare article by Erica Teichert dated October 3, 2016.
- Tenet Healthcare to Pay $514 Million to Settle Kickback Allegations Click here for a Wall Street Journal article by Melanie Evans dated October 3, 2016.
- Hospital chain to pay $513 million to settle kickback claims Click here for an Associated Press article dated October 3, 2016.
- Settlement in "Pay-to-Play" Scheme Involving Undocumented Pregnant Women to Exceed $500M Click here for an article by Robin McDonald, Daily Report dated August 18, 2016
- Tenet Healthcare to pay $514 million to Resolve Kickback Allegations Click here for an article by Evan Sweeney, fiercehealthcare.com dated August 5, 2016.
- Tenet Hospital Chain Offers $238M to Settle Kickback Scheme Allegations Click here for an article by Robin McDonald, Daily Report dated February 26, 2016
- Government Intervenes in Lawsuit Against Tenet Healthcare Corp. and Georgia Hospital Owned by Health Management Associates, Inc. Alleging Payment of Kickbacks Click Here for the release from the U.S. DOJ. GOVT COMPLAINT INTERVENTION for Complaint-in-Intervention filed by the U. S. Department of Justice. Govt Complaint in Intervention Exh. 1 – 7 for Exhibits 1-7. Govt Complaint in Intervention Exh. 8-18 for Exhibits 8-18. Govt Complaint in Intervention Exh. 19-23 for Exhibits 19-23. Govt Complaint in Intervention Exh. 24-25 for Exhibits 24-25.
W&G successfully prosecuted this qui tam against Shands Healthcare without government involvement. The case alleged improper billing of Medicare and Medicaid for admitting patients to the hospital rather than treating them on an outpatient basis because the government pays more for services rendered on an inpatient basis. The case settled in 2013 for $26,000,000.
- Shands “Tried To Hide” Billing Problems, Alleges Attorney Wilbanks Click Here for article by Kristine Crane, Gainesville Sun, dated August 24, 2013.
C.R. Bard Inc., a multinational medical device company, agreed to pay the federal government $48.2 million to settle this whistleblower lawsuit that alleged its urological division and wholly owned subsidiary, ProSeed Inc., paid doctors and hospitals kickbacks to entice them to order Bard’s products at inflated prices to treat Medicare patients with prostate cancer.
- Wilbanks & Gouinlock Client Settles Whistleblower Case With $48 Million Settlement Click Here for Daily Report dated Wednesday May 15, 2013.
- Adventist Repays Millions To Medicare Click Here for Orlando Sentinel article by Marni Jameson dated March 6, 2013.
- Adventist Health Can’t Dodge FCA Claim Of ER Overbilling Click Here for Law 360 article dated February 20, 2013.
- Whistleblower Lawsuit Alleges Adventist Hospital Filed Millions In False Claims Click here for Orlando Sentinel Article dated August 8, 2012.
Lawsuit was filed on behalf of Elin Balid-Kunz (“Ms. Kunz”) who gained inside knowledge from over 17 years of employment at Halifax Hospital and is presently the Halifax Director of Physician Services. In her whistleblower lawsuit, Ms. Kunz alleges that Halifax knowingly and intentionally submitted thousands of fraudulent claims to Medicare. Additionally, Ms. Kunz alleges […]
- History-Making Halifax Whistleblower Speaks out for First Time Since Settlement WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, August 6, 2014, by Lori Brown.
- Halifax Hospital Sanctioned by Courts for Destroying Records Daytona Beach News-Journal, June 4, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- Halifax Hospital Hit with Sanctions for Destroying Files Sought in Lawsuit Modern Healthcare, May 28, 2014, by Joe Carlson.
- Tax Watchdog Group Concerned Halifax Hospital Legal Fees Could Cost Taxpayers WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, May 28, 2014, by Lori Brown.
- Judge Threatens Halifax Health with Sanctions Daytona Beach News-Journal, May 27, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- How are Your Physicians Compensated? Stark Law + False Claims Act = Halifax Paying $85 Million National Law Review dated May 21, 2014, by Barbara E. Taylor, Esq., and Charles L. Kreindler, Esq.
- Wilbanks & Gouinlock Obtains Court Order for Costs and Fees from Defendant for Hospital’s “Reprehensible” Conduct Report and Recommendation by U. S. Magistrate Judge Thomas B. Smith filed May 8, 2014.
- Halifax Health Whistleblower Lawsuit’s Next Focus: Hospital Admissions Daytona News Journal dated April 16, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- Halifax Pays $85,000,000 to Settle Government Intervention as Part of Wilbanks & Gouinlock’ Client Case United States Department of Justice Press Release dated March 11, 2014.
- Halifax Caught Between Competing Pressures Joe Carlson for Modern Healthcare dated March 10, 2014.
- Florida Hospital Settles Part of Whistleblower Suit Barbara Liston for Reuters and Yahoo News dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Health Settles Fraud Case Marni Jameson for the Orlando Sentinel, dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Health Settles Part of Medicare Fraud Suit Skyler Swisher for the Daytona Beach News-Journal, dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Settles for $85,000,00 on Kickback Claims WFTV Channel 9 in Orlando, Florida.
- $1 Billion Stark Case Against Florida’s Halifax Hospital Headed To Trial Modern Healthcare article by Joe Carlson, dated November 25, 2013.
- Judge Rules That Florida’s Halifax Hospital Has Paid Illegal Bonuses For Physician Referrals Lori Brown, Fox Channel 9 News, Orlando, Florida, dated November 14, 2013.
- Judge: Halifax Health Illegally Paid Doctors Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated November 14, 2013.
- Whistleblower Attorney: Halifax Health Destroyed Patient Records Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated October 14, 2013.
- Whistleblower: Halifax Health Sent Patients To Surgeries Like “Sending Lambs To Slaughter” Lori Brown, Channel 9 WFTV in Orlando, Florida, dated October 28,2013.
- Spinal Fusions Serve As Case Study For Debate Over When Certain Surgeries Are Necessary Peter Whoriskey and Dan Keating, Washington Post dated October 27 2013.
- Whistleblower Lawyer Blasts Destruction Of Halifax Hospital Records Orlando Sentinel dated October 24, 2013.
- Fighting Healthcare Fraud Using Whistleblower Statute Returns $20 For Every $1 Invested Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund (TAF Education Fund – www.taf.org).
- Millions Already Spent On Halifax Health Legal Fight Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated August 24, 2013.
- Halifax Hospital Allegations Heat Up As Whistleblower Lawsuit Goes Forward Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated August 14, 2013.
- Halifax Health Facing $1,000,000,000 Whistleblower Suit Lori Brown, Channel 9 WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, July 8, 2013.
- Damages In Whistleblower Medicare Fraud Case Against Halifax Hospital Could Hit $1,000,000,000 Marni Jameson, Orlando Sentinel article dated July 5, 2013.
- Channel 9 Investigates Halifax Health Overcharging Medicare/Medicaid Lori Brown, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, June 11, 2013.
- Justice Department Seeks Up To $600 Million In Lawsuit Against Halifax Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News Journal dated June 3, 2013.
- Attorney-Client Privilege “Bombshell” Takes Center Stage In Halifax Stark Case Nina Youngstrum, Report on Medicare Compliance dated May 13, 2013.
- HALIFAX HOSPITAL IN FLORIDA WHISTLEBLOWER CASE MAKES HEADLINES AS GOVERNMENT JOINS LAWSUIT Orlando’s WFTX – Channel 9 interview with Marlan B. Wilbanks dated November 8, 2011. US Intervention Complaint in Florida Halifax Case originally filed by Wilbanks and Bridges. US Motion to Intervene and Judge’s Order Granting United States Motion to Intervene in Halifax Case. Complaint filed in U. S. District Court, Middle District, Orlando Division. Exhibits 1-14 of the Complaint. Exhibits 15-16 of the Complaint. Exhibits 17-23 of the Complaint. Defendant Halifax Hospital’s Motion to Dismiss Second Amended Complaint. Relator’s Response in Opposition to Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss the Second Amended Complaint. Defendant Halifax Hospital’s Consolidated Reply to Relator’s Opposition and the Department of Justice’s Statement of Interest. Relator’s Sur-Reply in Opposition to Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss the Second Amended Complaint. Order Denying Dismissal of Relator’s Second Amended Complaint
- Some of the Highest Paid Physicians at Halifax Health Are at the Heart of a Federal Lawsuit Anne Geggis, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated September 18, 2011.
- Department of Justice Intervenes in Health Care Fraud Lawsuit Against Halifax Hospital United States Department of Justice Press Release dated September 9, 2011.
- Suit Alleges Halifax Overbilled Millions to Medicare Anne Geggis, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated April 17, 2011.
The whistleblowers allege in this case that Wells Fargo and Mortgage Investors Corporation illegally charged veteran borrowers hidden fees on refinanced home loans guaranteed back by the Veterans Administration. Six other banks have settled for a total of $161.7 million dollars under the threat of the same allegations. This case is still pending in the […]
- Facing Trial, Wells Fargo Pays $108 Million to Settle Whistleblower Suit
Click here for Daily Report Article dated August 4, 2017
- St. Pete entrepreneur Bill Edwards dogged by lawsuit seeking to freeze assets
Click here for Tampa Bay Times article dated January 29, 2017
- Bibby Lawsuit Alleges Hidden Charges On Veteran Loans
Click Here for video story by WSBTV, Channel 2, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Six Banks To Pay $161M In Vets Mortgage Settlement
Click Here for Fox 5 I-Team Video Report of November 20, 2012.
- Six Banks Pay $161 Million To Settle False Claims Act Charge
Click Here for Corporate Crime Reporter Article dated November 20, 2012.
- Wells Fargo Must Face Suit Over Veteran Loans, Judge Says
Click Here for Bloomberg Article dated November 20, 2012.
- Wilbanks & Gouinlock Settles $45 Million Dollar Veteran Fraud Lawsuit With Defendant Jpmorgan Chase
Click here for Press Release.
Click here for Fox 5 Atlanta report on settlement with JP Morgan Chase.
Click here for Washington Post article dated March 13, 2012.
- Whistleblower Lawsuit Takes On Banks Nationwide That Cheated Taxpayers, Veterans Out Of Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars
Click here for Press Release.
Click here for Amended Complaint filed July 18, 2011.
Click here for The Washington Post Article dated October 4, 2011.
Click here for The Washington Post Article dated October 16, 2011.
Click here to see the AdvisorOne article dated November 11, 2011.
- Facing Trial, Wells Fargo Pays $108 Million to Settle Whistleblower Suit