Halifax Medical Center
Lawsuit was filed on behalf of Elin Balid-Kunz (“Ms. Kunz”) who gained inside knowledge from over 17 years of employment at Halifax Hospital and is presently the Halifax Director of Physician Services. In her whistleblower lawsuit, Ms. Kunz alleges that Halifax knowingly and intentionally submitted thousands of fraudulent claims to Medicare. Additionally, Ms. Kunz alleges that Halifax paid kickbacks to key referring physicians in order to generate patient referrals to the hospital. It was announced on March 3, 2014, Halifax Health settled the Medicare kickback claims portion of this case for $85,000,000.
On March 3, 2014, Halifax Health settled the Medicare kickback claims portion of their fraudulent Medicare claims for $85,000,000.
Articles and Links:
- History-Making Halifax Whistleblower Speaks out for First Time Since Settlement
WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, August 6, 2014, by Lori Brown.
- Halifax Hospital Sanctioned by Courts for Destroying Records
Daytona Beach News-Journal, June 4, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- Halifax Hospital Hit with Sanctions for Destroying Files Sought in Lawsuit
Modern Healthcare, May 28, 2014, by Joe Carlson.
- Tax Watchdog Group Concerned Halifax Hospital Legal Fees Could Cost Taxpayers
WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, May 28, 2014, by Lori Brown.
- Judge Threatens Halifax Health with Sanctions
Daytona Beach News-Journal, May 27, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- How are Your Physicians Compensated? Stark Law + False Claims Act = Halifax Paying $85 Million
National Law Review dated May 21, 2014, by Barbara E. Taylor, Esq., and Charles L. Kreindler, Esq.
- Wilbanks & Gouinlock Obtains Court Order for Costs and Fees from Defendant for Hospital’s “Reprehensible” Conduct
Report and Recommendation by U. S. Magistrate Judge Thomas B. Smith filed May 8, 2014.
- Halifax Health Whistleblower Lawsuit’s Next Focus: Hospital Admissions
Daytona News Journal dated April 16, 2014, by Skyler Swisher.
- Halifax Pays $85,000,000 to Settle Government Intervention as Part of Wilbanks & Gouinlock’ Client Case
United States Department of Justice Press Release dated March 11, 2014.
- Halifax Caught Between Competing Pressures
Joe Carlson for Modern Healthcare dated March 10, 2014.
- Florida Hospital Settles Part of Whistleblower Suit
Barbara Liston for Reuters and Yahoo News dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Health Settles Fraud Case
Marni Jameson for the Orlando Sentinel, dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Health Settles Part of Medicare Fraud Suit
Skyler Swisher for the Daytona Beach News-Journal, dated March 3, 2014
- Halifax Settles for $85,000,00 on Kickback Claims
WFTV Channel 9 in Orlando, Florida.
- $1 Billion Stark Case Against Florida’s Halifax Hospital Headed To Trial
Modern Healthcare article by Joe Carlson, dated November 25, 2013.
- Judge Rules That Florida’s Halifax Hospital Has Paid Illegal Bonuses For Physician Referrals
Lori Brown, Fox Channel 9 News, Orlando, Florida, dated November 14, 2013.
- Judge: Halifax Health Illegally Paid Doctors
Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated November 14, 2013.
- Whistleblower Attorney: Halifax Health Destroyed Patient Records
Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated October 14, 2013.
- Whistleblower: Halifax Health Sent Patients To Surgeries Like “Sending Lambs To Slaughter”
Lori Brown, Channel 9 WFTV in Orlando, Florida, dated October 28,2013.
- Spinal Fusions Serve As Case Study For Debate Over When Certain Surgeries Are Necessary
Peter Whoriskey and Dan Keating, Washington Post dated October 27 2013.
- Whistleblower Lawyer Blasts Destruction Of Halifax Hospital Records
Orlando Sentinel dated October 24, 2013.
- Fighting Healthcare Fraud Using Whistleblower Statute Returns $20 For Every $1 Invested
Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund (TAF Education Fund – www.taf.org).
- Millions Already Spent On Halifax Health Legal Fight
Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated August 24, 2013.
- Halifax Hospital Allegations Heat Up As Whistleblower Lawsuit Goes Forward
Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated August 14, 2013.
- Halifax Health Facing $1,000,000,000 Whistleblower Suit
Lori Brown, Channel 9 WFTV, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, July 8, 2013.
- Damages In Whistleblower Medicare Fraud Case Against Halifax Hospital Could Hit $1,000,000,000
Marni Jameson, Orlando Sentinel article dated July 5, 2013.
- Channel 9 Investigates Halifax Health Overcharging Medicare/Medicaid
Lori Brown, Channel 9, Orlando, Florida, June 11, 2013.
- Justice Department Seeks Up To $600 Million In Lawsuit Against Halifax
Skyler Swisher, Daytona Beach News Journal dated June 3, 2013.
- Attorney-Client Privilege “Bombshell” Takes Center Stage In Halifax Stark Case
Nina Youngstrum, Report on Medicare Compliance dated May 13, 2013.
- HALIFAX HOSPITAL IN FLORIDA WHISTLEBLOWER CASE MAKES HEADLINES AS GOVERNMENT JOINS LAWSUIT
Orlando’s WFTX – Channel 9 interview with Marlan B. Wilbanks dated November 8, 2011.
US Intervention Complaint in Florida Halifax Case originally filed by Wilbanks and Bridges.
US Motion to Intervene and Judge’s Order Granting United States Motion to Intervene in Halifax Case.
Complaint filed in U. S. District Court, Middle District, Orlando Division.
Exhibits 1-14 of the Complaint.
Exhibits 15-16 of the Complaint.
Exhibits 17-23 of the Complaint.
Defendant Halifax Hospital’s Motion to Dismiss Second Amended Complaint.
Relator’s Response in Opposition to Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss the Second Amended Complaint.
Defendant Halifax Hospital’s Consolidated Reply to Relator’s Opposition and the Department of Justice’s Statement of Interest.
Relator’s Sur-Reply in Opposition to Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss the Second Amended Complaint.
Order Denying Dismissal of Relator’s Second Amended Complaint
- Some of the Highest Paid Physicians at Halifax Health Are at the Heart of a Federal Lawsuit
Anne Geggis, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated September 18, 2011.
- Department of Justice Intervenes in Health Care Fraud Lawsuit Against Halifax Hospital
United States Department of Justice Press Release dated September 9, 2011.
- Suit Alleges Halifax Overbilled Millions to Medicare
Anne Geggis, Daytona Beach News-Journal dated April 17, 2011.